Monday, February 10, 2014

Tucson

I had a great visit in Tucson with many friends and colleagues.  It seems that at every show I knew quite a few people and it was a pleasure getting to speak with them if only for a few minutes here and there.

Our trip this year was two fold, as we took the airstream and joined an airstream rally at a local rv park. It was the first outing where I drove the airstream.   You may not think of that as such a big deal, but I'm kind of a chicken at heart so I have to work on stretching to accomplish the 'uncomfortable'.  I did it and I am happy with the sense of accomplishment.

Here is Mark and I enjoying a party!



In between having dinners with friends and visiting shows, we did a little bit of touristy and I accomplished some beading as well.

I am all about pendants these days.  They are fast, fun and infinitely wearable.  This one uses two beautiful druzy's that have been in my collection for some time.  A perfect compliment, this silk hand dyed ribbon finishes it off.  It is also my first foray into the two holed beads.  These are the new czech mate triangles from Starman and I love them.  


I also treated myself to a class while in Tucson.  Gail Crosman Moore and Anne Mitchell often team up to bring a collaborative piece to the classroom.  Their knowledge and styles work nicely together and it was a fun workshop with lot's of learning.  I was amazed at the number of skills packed into the one day and one project.  I certainly have a ways to go in finessing my elements here.  This is not yet finished but is close and I can't wait to do some more work with the molds and paper clay.  What an excellent medium.



It's a busy week (when is it not?) getting ready for a talk at the San Diego Bead Society, followed by a Sunday class in my studio.  Like to join us?  We'll be doing Pacific Morning Glory, one of my favorites.  I will have a few kits available or you can bring a selection of your own beads.  

5 comments:

Cynthia Newcomer Daniel said...

that's paper clay? Wow! Very cool!

Helen said...

Great photo of both of you! Way off topic Marcia, but would you share what brand/colour of lipstick you are wearing?

Rita said...

love the druzy pendant! good to hear you had so much fun!

Marcia DeCoster said...

Ha Helen, yes I will because I love it. I have worn MAC for years and the color Rebel but it was feeling a little dark. This is a brand new shade of MAC called Heroine….so I've gone from a Rebel to a Heroine!

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

such a delightful and fun entry, and your husband is...dare I say it? Hottie McHottie himself! Wow! ;) jean