Sunday, December 16, 2012

Knitting Little

Knitting for little ones is so rewarding!  Malayna is at an age where she loves her clothes and even more so if they are pink!

Last week I knitted her a little shoulder wrap ponchette, and it seemed only fitting that she should have some arm warmers to go with her poncho, for the full fashion effect.  At 22 months she is quite the fashionista, being the only little one to have matching leg warmers for every outfit, when she attends her gymnastic class.



Although I've been knitting much longer then beading, I am not a knitwear designer by any stretch of the imagination.  Now admittedly there isn't much of a design feat here, but I did sort out the right number of stitches and worked tubular garter stitch ridges and stockinette in the round using the 2 circular needle method.  I put 2 increases in every 5th stockinette round to flare them a bit (although a toddlers arm most likely won't need this feature) and then I cast off using the Elizabeth Zimmerman sewn cast off so it would be extra stretchy.

I love the effect a bit of garter stitch has with a variegated yarn, where the color change is so prominent.  We'll be enjoying a visit with family next week, and I'm hoping that Malayna loves her new Grandma knits.

4 comments:

Cynthia Newcomer Daniel said...

Those are adorable! She's going to love them.

Peziperli said...

I also think, she is going to love them!! Nice colour for a nice little girl!
Greetings, Petra

Christina Vandervlist, Spiritbead said...

OH, so sweet! I hope you plan to add photos at some point of M in her little knit ponchette, arm and leg warmers.....

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

so enchanting and the colors are wonderful! xox jean