Sunday, March 6, 2011

Color

Paint is so transformational. I've had the idea forever to paint this wall in the dining room the same shade of green that can be seen in the carpet. The wall has the double doors which lead out onto the veranda and the new yard (still in progress). But somehow I just never got around to it.

A couple of weeks back Marlene Blessing posted how she had finally gotten around to painting an accent wall, and I just knew it was time to make it happen.

Funny how in the midst of huge amounts to do, it is still possible to get more done. I got up this morning, ready to paint. We assembled the necessary stuff, laid down tarp, prepped the walls with tape and got to it.

Mark did the edges, he's more exacting then I am, and I rollered the rest.

Here the formerly dull white wall




Maya supervised, always right in the middle of things.



Admittedly it's a small wall, what with those big double doors in the middle of it. In under two hours we prepped, painted and cleaned up.

Thanks Marlene, for the push....The wall looks great.





I used table runners to add a whimsical and colorful touch to the somewhat sedate and boring dining room chairs.



Mark declared the accent akin to toilet seat covers, I think he's wrong.

It occurs to me when looking at this photo, that the style of the fabric on the chairs and my touch of whimsy are decidely at odds with one another, but...in my defense, when the chairs are neatly tucked into the table, it doesn't show. So I'm sticking with it.

9 comments:

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

That green is perfection, Marcia. A job well-done!

Marcia DeCoster said...

Thanks Carol, it's actually a little fresher then it shows up here, but I'm very happy with the change. Now onto what I was supposed to be doing when I was doing this instead!

abeadlady said...

That looks great, Marcia! Perfect color! Nice work.

Arlenesfelt said...

Now I'm looking around this place for a good wall to paint an accent color! Good idea, and yours turned out great.

Brenda Schweder said...

Hi! I'm not sure I agree with the carpet and chair cover designs being "at odds." I sort of like how its not so matchy-matchy. Sort of Anthropologie...well-planned unplanned-ness! LOVE it!

Marlene Blessing said...

Marcia, Love the color! It's exactly the color I painted my accent wall. I'll post a pic tomorrow so you can see for yourself. Bravo! Now that the accent wall is done, I have furniture in the garage to paint. Maybe I'll wait until the official start to spring . . .

Marcia DeCoster said...

Marlene, that's crazy, accent wall, same color and I too have a piece of furniture in the basement waiting for paint....yes, springtime I agree....

Marcia DeCoster said...

Brenda, it's not the carpet I'm opposed too, it's the graphic fabric on the seat covers, not matching the style of the table runner backs I've added....sigh, new chairs are not in the budget.

janis said...

wowowow...the dining room rocks...one of the most artistic that i have seen...not surprised tho.