Monday, September 21, 2009

Crystallized Birkenstocks

Crystallized Birkenstocks, which just might be an oxymoron.....I'm pretty sure my daughters would say so, not yet realizing the necessity of shoes that are comfortable vs shoes that are fashionable.

But with these I think I've managed both, at least in my world. I love these.



Kellie DeFries of CrystalNinja.com invited me to her home studio and graciously schooled me in the ways of applying crystal. It takes some getting used to, applying just the right amount of glue, choosing the size and lining up the crystals....let's just say, it's a good thing they are on my feet and won't be subject to close inspection. But all in all, I pretty much love them.

Here's Kellie with baby shoes she crystallized for a client.



Kellie is a master of this technique, going so far as to crystallize her license plate, the logo on her Range Rover, the interior of her car, and just about anything you can think of. She is accurate and fast and makes it appear way easier then it is to do it well. She gets micro-detail even breaking 7ss crystals when needed to enhance the detail.



Her Mac, crystallized of course!




And not only is she talented, but is sweet and gracious and hospitable. I had a grand time making these under her accomplished guidance. Thank you Kellie!

8 comments:

mary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Try-to-be-better said...

Thanks for showing! I guess the two of you had lots of fun ... eh? ;-))

HolliDe said...

Marsha, these are stunning, just stunning! Now, can you showq me how to do a pair of Asic cross trainers?

Sarah said...

I just discovered the joy of Birkenstocks, and won't wear any of my other shoes now. This is a really nifty idea for getting the bling on them!

Arlenesfelt said...

I like it! I like it!

Designs by Jenean said...

Kellie does great work! I love anything that blings. Wonderful article.

SuzyQ said...

Did you know.......the owner of a popular bead store in Cape Town drives a car completely covered in crystals????

Unknown said...

ohhh I want a pair!!!! I live in my birkenstocks and couldn't imagine anything better than having a bling pair of them!!! gorgeous!!!